Friday, November 28, 2008

My Irreplacable Companion

Yes, the turkey was good.

There was a lot of anticipation leading up to the meal. I struggled the urge to workout too much. I struggled to not restrict the days leading up to the big meal. And I talked with my fiancee about what was going to be served (her mother was cooking).

I had a lot to cope with on Nov. 27. Thankfully, I was with a gracious family who loved me.

This is the first holiday season I've experienced post-treatment. I learned the importance of a companion. Someone who was with me every meal, every difficult moment. Her persence was invaluable, irreplaceable.

We would process as a coping skill before and after meals. Even during dessert I was a little less anxious just because someone was around who knew what I was feeling.

If you had a tough time over Thanksgiving, I would recommend telling a friend or companion how meals and eating make you feel, just to get it out there. At the very least you care share sympathetic glances from across the table.

No comments: