Monday, May 7, 2012

Jeans and Cyclists... and logic bullets!

Admittedly my physical self-=perception maybe already be a little off, but here's the problem as I've heard it from cyclists other than myself. Straight leg and some regular fit jeans or dress pants do not fit. The waist and length are always fine. It's the hip area that's tight. A lot of cyclists have large quadricep muscles in their legs, making for a tighter than normal fit.

Now, I'm probably the only one who cares this much. I'm certain other bikers just deal with it (I don't know how), but it's terrible to comfortably wear only baggy pants. I'm not some punk teeneager skating about disrupting the establishment.

For me, in the past though less recently, it's a matter of contention with my eating disorder. When I wear a pair of jeans that don't fit my theighs I fear I'm getting fat. Then I start pinching what I believe (falsely) to be excess fat on my legs wondering how the hell it got there and how much I have to workout to lose it.

Reality eventually kicks in and I smirk at the thought of cycling to lose size, as it is muscle not fat, on my legs. It irrational that I would expect to lose leg size when I'm in love with biking everywhere -- to work, shopping, recreation -- and in the process make my muscles more effective. Meaning noticably more defined and slightly larger. I try not to call myself an idiot, but with such a glaring example of body distortion and false reasoning it is difficult.

I fight with reason. Firing logic bullets at fallacies. Boom! Suck it up and tell myself how helpful my legs are. Shit, I've earned these. Cycling to and from work 12 months a year for the last four years. I'm thankful for my biker legs. haha that does sond kinda goofy... but it's true.

If you're reding this and have the same issue as me; or maybe your arms don't fit sleeves well; or there is another physical definition you have from work or activities. Next time, before you complain about fit or look, join me in acceptance.
Jeans don't fit? Whatever, I'd rather be thankful I have muscle and skill to continue on of my great passions in life.

On days when I feel vulnerable to my eating disorder I look down at my legs and say, "Hell yeah I made it to work with my own two legs, fueled by an adequate breakfast."

No comments: