Thursday, February 28, 2013

Wheelchair Awareness


The second time in treatment for an eating disorder. I was in a wheelchair for several days and our group was going on a community outing for a snack. Driving to the shop, another patient looks over to me and asks what my story will be.
"My story?" I asked.
 "Yeah," she said. "You know, why you're in the wheelchair. Last week when we went to lunch for outing and I was still in a chair I told them I had heart issues."
"And I was in a skiing accident," a emaciated girl, no more than 14 years old in treatment her first time, chimed in.
I was floored. It never occur to me to lie. I have an eating disorder. They are very common and individuals require professional help and support for recovery.

It occured to me then. I need to talk about my experience often; not be afraid or shamed to hide what I'm going through. In fact, often when I share my story in a large group there will be at least one or two individuals who also share their struggle with an eating disorder.

And that's all I can do. Not be ashamed or scared and tell what I know. And the more I talk and tell people about eating disorders the likelier it is someone who needs help will come forward and tell a friend or loved one.

If you are reading this and feel the need to talk to someone or just want to know more about signs and symptoms please contact the National Eating Disorder Association at www.nationaleatingdisorders.org or call the helpline at 1-800-931-2237

No comments: